During this time period, women were considered inferior to men. One reason is because they were considered the reason for Adam and Eve's first sin. The excerpt from "The Appearance of Women" says that "the judgement of God [is] upon this sex," when speaking of women. Although this is true, this is not a factor that makes women be seen as less than men in our society. I believe this is because modern day culture is not focused on Christianity. Another reason women were seen as the inferior sex is because of their work. Women worked on spinning and weaving, as well as managing the home. Compared to the difficult and honorable work of men, a woman's work was not understood to be as important. I feel this is still somewhat prevalent in today's society. Some men believe that women can not accomplish the same things or handle the same responsibilities as them. While this is not true, I realize it is not uncommon.
The passage from "The Southern Passion" explains the double standard that existed, and still exists in some sense, between men and women. While women are stereotyped as promiscuous from having sex once, a man can be completely corrupt and still accepted. I believe this is a strong argument because it exposes the inequality among men and women. Another strong argument is that women are not dishonorable because God chose a woman to carry the Son of God. A weaker argument is found in "The Southern Passion." It argues that women should not be judged as a whole, but individually. For example, if one woman is unfaithful, men should not assume all women are that way. I don't find this illustration as convincing because I do not believe there is much evidence that suggests that men act this way. If they do, I believe women are just as guilty of it.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
good start. Need to bring in more arguments against women from the readings. Delve in a bit more on discussing the arguments for women.
ReplyDelete